Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger


One week bike rental $265
Luggage fee to haul helmet, cycle gear and shoes $25
A new focus and motivation by knowing the course PRICELESS

"That course is flat as a pancake, piece of cake" I call BULLSHIT. While the course is not hilly, nor the most challenging course I've ridden, I can certainly say it's not flat. As a smart person on Facebook said: "didn't we learn from Columbus that nothing is really flat?"

Since my parents moved to Rio Verde I've driven the Bee Line highway countless times. Going 80 miles an hour, it feels pretty flat and the inclines fly by. Nothing could prepare me better than riding the course myself. 

I went back and forth about renting a bike while I was home for Christmas. It's a lot of money, time away from my parents, a lot of extra shit to haul 3,000 miles. But I'm so glad that I did. I'm a big fan of bullets, so here's what I learned:

  • Computrainer is WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! I dread going because I know it's an ass kicking, I leave feeling strong like a motherfuckin' ox. I cleared 22 miles in 1:18. My first sprint tri in 2011 it took me 56 minutes to go 10 miles. I'm faster and stronger. and there's still 11 months to go before race day! (disclaimer: my bike is definitely better than the '11 one)
  • The last mile before the turnaround on the course is a challenge. It's not flat. In fact the last 4 or 5 miles is a false flat.
  • Like a bad case of herpes (so I've heard), the wind can flare up outta no where.
  • It's dry. It's been 10 years since I've lived here and I forgot how dry it is. My entire nasal system is dry (how does my nose then drip like a faucet??) and my lips get dry. Pack lots of aquaphore, check.
I want to go harder and better. I want to get faster and rock this race. This experience gives me an entire new focus and dedication to my training. Riding this course made it more real. I will push myself a little more each day.

Crazy to think in 11 months, god willing, I'll be an IRONMAN. Crossing that finish line where I started the journey 15 years ago, to live my life to the fullest. Crazy to think that 15 years ago, when I started that journey I wanted to die. The pain of the journey was just too great and I didn't think I could go on. A story for another time, but I'm so glad I dug in and fought my fears, because the reward is sweet.

I can't wait to go harder. be better. go faster. feel stronger.

"You know that feeling when you're in too deep, and then you make it out, the taste so sweet. sweet" -Dave Matthews

Merry Christmas and thank you to my parents, family and friends for all your support.


2 comments: