Sunday, December 9, 2012

I thought this only happened in movies... and Hong Kong

I ran over to Ohio with my friend Marti to cheer her on in a cyclocross race. (by ran I mean we drove hellof fast in a soccer mom minivan) After watching her badass bike moves on the course we headed our adventure back home. I must say I find this style of racing intriguing, but I will wait until after IMAZ to give it a whirl. Not to mention slinging my ham hock thighs over the bike frame to hurl myself up muddy hills would be quite a challenge on its own.

After a short adventure at the Griswold style cut your own Christmas tree farm and a tasty lunch at a local Cracker Barrel wanna be dairy we got into a conversation about massages. I recalled my trip to Hong Kong in 2006 and got a in-room massage after a long 29 hour trip. The tiny little lady that showed at my door was practically dropping from the ceiling jamming her elbows into my back. I was screaming in pain into the pillow and ever so grateful when the 30 minutes was up.

So this afternoon I went in for my massage as I decided to try Massage Envy. I had another tiny Chinese woman give me a great massage, she did a great job of readjusting her pressure based on my reactions to the discomfort. I must say I really miss the days of when a massage meant a wonderful, relaxing experience which usually included a nap. She tells me that the muscle running on the outside of my shin bone is the tightest she's ever felt, no wonder my ankle was a hot mess a few weeks ago. She rubbed my lower back and it felt like she was rubbing bone, but it was a fucking tight muscle. She slowly worked it out and I was happy to find someone who was able to give me a deep tissue massage with the all the effectiveness without bringing me to tears of pain.

Then, the craziest thing happened. No, not that Gary, get your head out of the gutter. She climbed up on the table and started using her knees to massage my glutes (ass for those that don't know...) WTF. I was dumb founded and surprisingly amazed/embarrassed at how well it worked. Then she stands up and uses one heel of her foot to dig into my hamstrings. Double WTF. Sister has some good balance, was she in Cirque du Soleil?? (good thing I googled that first, I've been spelling it wrong all these years) Isn't this the shit that happens in movies?

It was weird, but nearly as weird as creepy Vicky at LTF and so fucking effective, so I rebooked. I guess I can live with weirdness if it works as foam rolling was SO much less painful tonight.

time to go decorate my tree so my ornament isn't alone on the tree



No comments:

Post a Comment