Thursday, June 20, 2013

Why do I tri?


Tri. Short for Triathlon.

tri·ath·lon  

/trīˈaTHlən/
Noun

An athletic contest consisting of three different events, typically swimming, cycling, and long-distance running.

Why do I tri?
That's a question I'm not sure I know the answer to. Up until now, I really dislike swimming. I suck at running therefore I really have to push myself to run. My bike is improving but I can't really say I love it. (There a half dozen things I'd rather be doing before I bike.) However overall it's something that pushes me to TRY.

Why do I try?
That's an easier question. I try because I never know how far I can push myself unless I try. If you would have told me in 2009 that I would complete a half marathon I would have laughed in your face. Probably while smoking a cigarette and slamming jagerbomb. But I gave it a TRY and completed it. 12 half marathons later I'm here training for an Ironman.

By taking the time to try a tri I have been able to find myself. Before, I'm not sure I ever really knew who I was. I'm a person that isn't afraid to fail. I'm not scared off just because people tell me I can't do it. I'm not afraid to show you my soul, even if it has some dark spots. I'm a person that is not afraid to finish dead last. I'm not afraid to keep going even after they take my timing chip. I've learned humility, what an amazing lesson to learn through an experience that pushes me past any comfort zones I thought I knew. All while wearing a tri suit which is about the most embarrassing thing next to parading around naked.

Tonight while at an OWS with my JCL teammates and other great triathletes from various teams, I fell in love with swimming. Tonight was my first swim back with the group this season. Tonight I was no longer the last person. Tonight I was no longer the swimmer that needed the kayak to follow me. For the first time tonight I felt like I could have swam forever. Tonight I completed an oly distance (1500 m) in 33 minutes, last season it took me 50 minutes.

Then it hit me. Why do I tri? I tri because I've met a tremendous community of supporters that encourage a healthy lifestyle and comrade. I tri because I'm sticking with it, giving it my all and seeing some incredible improvements. I continue to tri because I can't wait to see what's next. And to show up the nay sayers.







3 comments: