Sunday, December 15, 2013

How does that work?

I've had various friends cult members, try to convince me that CrossFit would be good for my biking and running. And a good way to drop weight. Build strength. Make friends. You get the idea.

I have heard mixed reviews about CrossFit. I've heard that the injury rate is high, so I didn't want to take any chances before Arizona. But I did my research and found that if you go to a good box, one that is good about watching form, you're really going to get a good workout. For those of you, like me, that had no clue what the fuck a box is, a box is often what the gym is referred to.

I had started thinking back in October that I would try out CrossFit in the off season. Three weeks after my race I decided to get off my lazy ass and get back to things. I set some goals, renewed my commitment to my races next year and went to my first class on Monday.

It was an "easy" week as they were having a weight competition this past weekend so everyone was tapering. Clearly I'm not intimidated by much, but I'm always intimidated when I walk in. I've been in several times to pick things up and I feel out of place.

I have to admit that I was surprised how friendly everyone was. Probably the first time I've been somewhere in which the girls come up and introduce themselves. Our workout was pretty light: rowing, l-sits and a lot of deep stretching. The WOD (Workout of the Day) was 15 minutes, rotating between 20 chest to the floor push-ups and 50 air squats. I got through 4 sets and while it was a big push, I didn't feel like I went balls to the wall.

I thought it was a good idea to go to hot yoga after. Hahah, fucking worst. idea. ever. I made it through about 15 minutes before my arms and legs wouldn't do anything but quiver. So I spent the next 60 minutes doing wall stretches and just laying there in agony.

Tuesday I could barely walk down the stairs. Going up the stairs took twice as long. I could barely lift my arms enough to dry my hair. Forget sleeping. Who knew you used your triceps when you were sleeping.

Wednesday was even worse. It took me 5 minutes to get down the stairs in my house. I made it down two steps and decided it might be easier to slide down my ass. I finally lowered myself to sit down and made it down two steps. It was going to be better to walk down the stairs. It was hard to get up with clothes and my phone in my hand as I was headed out to run with the guys. I thought about throwing the clothes down the stairs but then I realized picking them up at the bottom would take all day. I finally got myself up and it took forever to get down the stairs. I awkwardly walked for 30 minutes with the guys, curbs were not fun. It took me like a minute of pep talk to squat to go to the bathroom. I took the elevator a floor at work. It took me 30 seconds to negotiate with myself to go down the 3 front steps.

Thursday I couldn't even lift my arms enough to put on a sports bra. I couldn't use my round brush to blow dry my hair. Of course when I finally got the tip to go backwards down the stairs I could hobble my way down the stairs.

I was in too much pain to go back or do any working out, but at this point I've screwed myself by not going back. The lactic acid has built up in my muscles so bad that I can barely move. I didn't do shit all week. Luckily I went to do service work on Friday, packing and lifting boxes, it wasn't comfortable, but it finally made everything feel better.

Today I was able to run a 5K again. I have decided to run one every Sunday to keep track of how my running is coming along. I took some time off last week, so I'm encouraged.

I can move, non-stop for 18.5 hours in an Ironman and manage to feel okay enough to fly home two days later. But 80 push-ups and 200 squats take me out for an entire week. How does that work?!

Yes, I'm going back to Crossfit 3 times this week. I figured the first few times I rode my bike for longer than an hour I couldn't walk for the next day and now I can ride 7 hours. So this will get easier too, right?

5 comments:

  1. hahaha - uhm no. from what I hear, it doesn't get better, just harder. but that sounds like it's right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to consider dropping weight before embarking on Crossfit for your health's sake. Just because you can bike and run at a slow all day pace doesn't mean you have the muscle/joint strength for CF. You'd be better off working on body composition and light body weight exercises (pullups, pushups, bridges, air squats, etc.), although the Paleo diet followed by most CF'ers would do you good. Not to mention the free speed you'd acquire on the bike and run from dropping weight. And then perhaps you will be able to finish an IM under the cutoff, assuming that is one of your objectives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, just to set the record straight, Ms OR Mr Crackhead....you need to read about this woman's story....before you going telling her what is best for her racing..she if f...ing inspirational and phenomenal. So my gut reaction to your comment is S...U.

      Sorry Crissy....just saying it like it is.

      Delete
  3. Thanks rws784 for saying what I was about to say. Who hasn't done a class and can't make it down the stairs the next day or had to convince yourself sitting on the toilet really has to happen? Damn.

    Going down the stairs backwards, huh? I would break another foot.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sausage…I’m a friend of a friend. She sent me your blog link to read after I told her I was tired of getting my ass kicked in CF. You write some great stuff! After reading your story about what you went through for IM training I felt like a real candy-ass bitching about CF. You’re an inspiration and seem like a really nice person. I have been doing CF for three months and was sore as well for a few days after doing the same workout you referenced. The workouts do get easier if you stay with it. It just takes a little while because of the way CF is structured. My goal is to strengthen my core, increase flexibility and lose weight. CF is perfect for that. For me, the easy part is going in and getting my ass kicked. The hard part is diet change. I have started to lose weight and tone up. I can tell a difference. I really feel better. A paradigm shift is always tough to make but is even harder because taste buds are involved. I have moved closer to the Paleo way but have taken a modified approach. The box downtown is great. I drive from the south side to attend passing several other boxes. This box emphasizes scaling for those still struggling (like myself) which helps avoid injuries...and heart attacks. They also focus on lifting technique before letting you go. Stay strong in CF and good luck in Arizona. I will be following your blog. Ignore the negative vibes.

    ReplyDelete