Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

15 days out from IMAZ I ran the Monumental half marathon. The entire week before I was oblivious that I was running it. Sure, I had registered months ago, I was working the expo at our booth. But I was so busy going into the week I had blocked it from my mind.

When I really thought about it, I wasn't sure I wanted to run it. I'm feeling fine going into IM. Although I'm over it, over training, over feeling a slave to my workouts. Not that I don't like doing them, just like a defiant teenager, I just wish it was on my schedule. I was a little fearful about having a poor race. I was afraid that would destroy me mentally going into AZ.

I woke up the morning of the race and threw on some capri pants I've never run more than a few miles in. Realized as I was running out the door that I probably needed to grab some gels. To be honest I'm not really even sure I had breakfast before I left.

It was a perfect day and great weather for the race. Cool and not too sunny. Loved spending the morning before the race with the team. Everyone was excited, lots of first time fulls and 13.1's. Some were even running their first 5K.

I decided to run this one without my watch or music and go at about 85-90% effort. I had to go to the bathroom at mile 1, so I waited 10 minutes in line. After I got back onto the course I was behind the "end of the line" bus. Which pissed me off, I probably started too far to the back, but I had passed a good amount of people and now they had all passed me. So I took off running and found people that looked familiar, I think I probably ran about a 10 or 11 minute mile from marker 1 to 2.

The entire day I kept the quote from the Cycle Studio wall about "not able to breathe? You won't die" so I ran hard until I couldn't breathe and then I started walking until I caught my breath. Of course I forgot to take my inhaler before I left that morning, because after all, it wasn't until 4:30 that morning that I accepted the fact that I was running a half.

Around mile 9.5 I realized that there was a cramp coming on and I didn't have any water to take salt. The next water station was at mile 11 where I would run through our water station. After I got through that station is when my cramps set in. I haven't had cramps in months and I forgot how awful they can be and how much they can really slow you down. I was walking to stretch them out and waiting for the salt to kick in.

Then this guy passes me. I look at his shoes and see shit. Literally. The dude had crapped his pants. It was all over the back of him, on his legs, shoes and shirt. I almost barfed. I felt bad for him but had to get away from him. I couldn't be behind him anymore. So that motivated me to start running through the cramps and I passed him and hit mile maker 12. There was a dj that started playing that dumb "what does the fox say" song so that was in my head for the last 13.1 miles "Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!" I think it helped me to run faster as that is not what I wanted in my head. I ran into Lindsey and she ran a few blocks with me, it was good motivation to hustle to the finish.

I crossed the finish line at an official 12 minute PR that has been in place since 2011. I was pissed that I missed a sub 3 by 3 fucking minutes. But if you unofficially take the 10 minutes off from my bathroom stop, then I killed that sub 3; taking 22 minutes of my best time. Averaging a 13:13 mile, well ahead of race pace for AZ.

Maybe it was the guy with the shit on him that I owe my PR. Maybe it was seeing some familiar faces on the course. Maybe it was just meant to be. Whatever it is, I'm glad it was a good day. I probably lost about 5 minutes to the cramps, but it was a good reminder that regardless of the weather of how I'm feeling, I need to stick to my nutrition plan 100%. Yes, I think I've learned that lesson a few times, but always a good reminder.

Coming out of Saturday I'm FINALLY SO EXCITED for Arizona. It's take me a while to finally start to get excited! I'm excited to see what the day brings, excited for everything I've been working toward for the last year to come together.

1 comment: