Monday, September 3, 2012

Sausage in a Wetsuit returns

44 minutes, 2,640 seconds.  That's the difference in my '12 Chicago tri from '11. I was honestly hoping to break 4 hours, but  a 44 minute improvement in a year is a pretty good consolation prize.

For the first time this season I wasn't disappointed with my performance. I gave it my all and left it all on the course. My sciatic nerve was not happy that weekend and the aftermath was definitely clear as I was walking like I had been rode a horse all weekend.

Seeing that it was lake Michigan I decided to bring out my wetsuit for this race. I lubed up with spray triglide in the hotel room before we left for the start line. It's been two months since I last wore it, so I'm a little out of practice getting that bitch on. My nails were longer, so I had to be careful not to punch a hole. I started to waddle down the hallway. Luckily Brian recommended a cab to the start line, so I didn't have to waddle the .75 miles to the start line (god bless my friends!)

As soon as I hopped in the water to bob like a sea of apples in the lake with my start wave, I knew it was going to be a frustrating swim. I felt constricted and it was hard to breath. I would swim about 200 meters and then need a break to get some air. So I would try breaststroking so I could at least keep forward movement. Sausage shoved in a wetsuit does not stroke anything well. It was impossible, so I would kinda doggy paddle forward a few seconds to get a breath and then keep going. The end buoy seems to move, it takes FOREVER to get to that fucker. Lesson 1: I had better sleep in my wetsuit to get ready for IMAZ next year.

The run to T1 is more than .25 miles. This year they put carpeting down the entire way which was awesome. However, it was a slippery little fucker. I almost fell a dozen times so I decided to walk because my luck I would have ate it. As I moved out of T1 a nice storm was rolling in and down came the rain. Good think I forgot my sunglasses at the hotel.

Out on the ride my new wheels were cutting through the wind. I was passing people left and right and they were staying passed (usually they pop back up). I got a "that's an awesome bike" (compared to last year "you're doing this race on THAT bike?") The wind in our face going North on Lakeshore Drive was ridiculous. I thought "I can't wait to have that shit at my back when I turn around." I turned around,  and the wind was twice as bad. The wind WAS at my back. About mile 12 I thought something dropped off my bike but I couldn't see anything so I kept going. A few seconds later I couldn't pedal. Fuck. So I got off and find that my spare tube had fallen off my repair pouch. It was stuck in my crank. I finally got it untangled and secured it (I'm sure it's trashed). Now to put my chain back on with tons of bikes coming at me (I kept imagining someone flying right into me). Finally after about 5 minutes I got it put back on and grease was smeared all over me head to toe. One of my favorite spin instructors, Sharon, came up behind me at mile 24 and we rode the last mile in together. All and all I was pleased, I managed 18mph in the wind. For the first time I really felt like I was racing out on the bike, it was a high like no other.

The run was a shuffle at best. My lower back was super tight from my sciatic nerve issues so I walked the first two miles and popped some advil. Finally it loosened up and I was able to jog. Last year I finished after all the pros. This year the men did lap me, but it was pretty cool to be able to cheer for Hunter Kemper. I was the last person to congratulate him as we both entered the finishers shoot (any guess who they announced finishing? hahah) The women didn't lap me, so that's a small victory. I spent the last mile throwing out high fives to people I passed as they were just starting the run. I just love cheering for everyone. Lesson 2: It poured the entire run, I need to run more in the rain because I hate when my face is wet and I can't dry it.

I was thankful to see my pit crew at the finish line. Brian, Jen and Marci were there, soaking wet, cheering loud for me. Thanks guys for coming out! We got back to the hotel and I almost killed myself as I slipped on the carpet where I had sprayed the triglide. That shit is slippery!

As I was out on the course I reflected on a few things:
-When the fuck did everyone else get so fast? I finished 44 minutes earlier than last year, but I still finished dead last in my division and was one of the last few out on the course.
-I need to let go of my expectations about my times and performance. I cannot compare myself to others, especially since I am still carting around that Olsen twin. It's going to make my times slower, no matter how much I want to believe it doesn't matter.
-I need to dump that bitch. Racing would be more fun, training would be easier and I'd get to have a beer before the tent closes. I read a funny article in USA Triathlete "Thoughts from the back of the pack" I was laughing out loud when I was reading it because it was o' so true. I want to know what it's like from the middle of the pack.
-And I want to know what it's like from the front of the pack. Because I have a feeling that when I do ditch the Olsen (and I will) that I will be on the heels of my idols; those ladies in my life that are leading the pack at races.
-I need to respect the race. No matter the distance, it is a race that needs proper prep. I am happy with my performance given the condition I was in when I arrived at the race. But I need to arrive in better condition. I need to get more sleep, more hydration and feeling better. I have decided to do these races, so I need to prioritize it appropriately in my schedule.
-I'm not 23 anymore and I can't do it all and I'm pretty tired from trying. I need to cut down to what's important and say no to the rest. I'm almost 33 but I keep myself programmed non-stop like I'm 23 and I need to realize 10 years does make a difference even though I want to pretend it doesn't...

Overall, finally a race with very few mishaps. "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors"

3 comments:

  1. So that explains why I almost broke my neck on the bathroom floor when I got back to take a shower!! All kidding aside, I have done nothing but brag to my friends back here in Buffalo about my friend Chrissy who does these crazy things called triathlons. I was beaming with pride that I could cheer you on. I'm so dang proud of you. You motivate me to push myself. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I think I can finally breathe a bit easier now when you ride that bike. When I read you had fallen the first time out...I said that was my fault for letting you get a bike with such small tires. I feel better...thanks doll.. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspirational, hillarious....love it.

    ReplyDelete